AACBT Membership Application
What is the AACBT?
The Australian Association for Cognitive and Behaviour Therapy Ltd. is the peak National professional body supporting cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT) training in Australia. It is a multidisciplinary association for professionals with an interest in the application of cognitive and behavioural principles to help alleviate difficulties experienced by individuals and groups in the community.
The AACBT is a national organisation with branches in most states of Australia. . It is the Australian equivalent of the British Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies (BABCP), the US Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Therapies (ABCT) and the European Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Therapies (EABCT).
What are the objectives of the AACBT?
To undertake and promote research and education into cognitive and behaviour therapies;
To publish and disseminate information about developments in cognitive and behaviour therapies within Australia and in other countries;
To provide education and training in the principles and practices of cognitive and behaviour therapies;
To support evidence-based practice of cognitive and behaviour therapies within Australia; and
To liaise and consult with other persons or organisations in the research, education and practice of cognitive and behaviour therapies.
Who can join the AACBT?
Any person with recognised tertiary qualifications in psychology, medicine, education, social work, occupational therapy, speech therapy, dentistry, nursing or other qualifications where change of behaviour and cognitions is relevant can join. Full time students of these fields are also welcome to join as associate members.
Why you might like to join
- Workshops: The AACBT sponsors a number of workshops and seminars presented by well-known international, interstate and local guests. These events are available to members at greatly reduced rates.
- Conferences: Advanced notice of the National AACBT Conference held annually in Australia with the opportunity to attend at reduced rates is provided to members. In addition, advanced notice for other relevant conferences both nationally and internationally is made available to members.
- Local events: Each state branch holds local events regularly throughout the year. These events take a variety of formats from pub discussions, presentations, master classes, supervision groups and social events.
- Accreditation as an AACBT Cognitive and/or Behavioural Therapist.: Members of AACBT Ltd. who meet the AACBT’s national standards for CBT training and practice can apply for Accreditation as a Cognitive and/or Behavioural Therapist. Accredited AACBT Cognitive and/or Behavioural Therapists must meet the AACBT’s criteria for continuing supervised clinical practice and professional development on an annual basis to maintain accreditation.
- AACBT Ltd. Practitioner List: Accredited AACBT Cognitive and/or Behavioural Therapists can register their details and areas of speciality on the AACBT Practitioner List. This searchable database of CBT practitioners is freely available to the public to assist them with locating Accredited AACBT Practitioners.
- Journal: Receive online access to the quarterly journal Behaviour Change. This is a highly regarded scientific journal which presents papers addressing clinical and professional issues of interest. There are regular special editions which highlight important areas of research and clinical practice (e.g., Behaviour Therapy and Schizophrenia, Research in Anxiety and Fear, Behavioural Approaches to Social and Community Issues).
- Newsletter: Receive the regular newsletter Baseline which provides members with information on a number of topics of interest including: upcoming workshops and seminars, local, national and international conferences; news of research being conducted by our members; and literature reviews. It also keeps members up to date with National Association issues.
- Book Discounts: AACBT Ltd. Members receive a 10% online discount at Open Leaves Books (www.openleaves.com.au). Open Leaves is the premier bookseller in the areas of counselling, therapy and mental health in Australia.
- CBT Training discounts: AACBT Ltd. members receive a 10% discount to the University Centre for Rural Health (North Coast) CBT Certificate Programs and CBT workshops, with top international presenters (www.cbttraining.com.au). This training program provides high quality training in evidence-based CBT therapies to mental health professionals across Australia. The program provides CBT training for beginners (no CBT experience or do a 'bit of CBT') intermediate and advanced level practitioners.
- Networking: The opportunity to meet and belong to a network of practitioners and academics committed to CBT.